Variety of days out to suit all ages and interests.
The 1645 Inn is an ideal base for a variety of days out to suit all ages and interests. Just ask us when you get here and we’ll be happy to point you in the right direction!
Historic Places to Visit Nearby
- Culloden Battlefield – site of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s final defeat
- Fort George – garrison for the army of George II, now containing a military museum
- Clava Cairns – Bronze Age chambered cairns and standing stones
- Cawdor Castle – legendary connections with Shakepeare’s Macbeth
- Sueno’s Stone in Forres – over 23 feet tall and 1000 years old
- Elgin Cathedral – burned by the infamous Wolf of Badenoch in 1390
- Brodie Castle – delightful grounds and sumptuous interior
For the Children (and big kids!)
- You don’t have to look far for ideas to keep the kids occupied:
- Landmark Centre at Carrbridge, excellent for a day out
- Along the coastline from Nairn there are long stretches of sandy beach
- Lots of walks and cycle paths in the nearby Culbin Forest Nature Reserve
- Boat trips into the Moray Firth to see the famous dolphins
- Steam train rides between Boat of Garten and Aviemore
- Cairngorm Reindeer Herd and Highland Wildlife Park near Aviemore
- Nessie hunting on Loch Ness! Take a cruise from Inverness, Drumnadrochit or Fort Augustus, visit the Nessie centres and explore Urquhart Castle.
- Check out the world famous producers of Baxters of Speyside, Walkers of Aberlour and Johnstones of Elgin
- More clambering about on ruins – Rait Castle is near the Inn and Duffus Castle is just a short drive away